Tuesday, October 21, 2014

RIP Old Keens

Yesterday was one of those days , and when I got home around 9 PM I could not face the computer.  So here are yesterday's drawings:   a scattering of tabletop objects from a meeting of my journal group.  Two of these are new tools-- a new kind of water brush by Caran d'Ache (and if this brush is as good as the densely pigmented crayons they make it is really worth looking into), and the other is a micro-fine Prismacolor pen.  Both are on my list of things to track down.
Today began with my discovery that two of my favorite objects are irreparably broken.  On the left is one of my Keen hiking shoes.  I've had Keens that lasted so long the inner soles compressed and became rock hard.  I have never had a pair that actually gave out on me.  But this nice lightweight pair that I've probably had for 6 or 7 years has turned belly up.  I had laced it up and was ready to head out when I noticed that the entire sole had separated from the upper part of the show, and green mold had grown all over the part of the toe that is usually covered by the tip of the sole.

Well that was sad, but I found another pair of hiking shoes at the back of the closet.  Worse was when I went into the kitchen to make my regular morning smoothie and discovered the blender had broken four out of its six wee plastic teeth that engage with the motor.  Very cheap construction!  Beware of Braun blenders-- check to make sure the bottom of the top part engages with the top of the motor part by means of a metal assembly before you plunk down your money.  These little plastic teeth have been chipping off at the rate of one every few weeks, but this morning there was only one full tooth left, and it was just not up to the whole job.
I rounded out this short series of drawings with a sad face carved out of what looks like some kind of lava.  It's a lovely little face, about 5 inches from hairline to chin, and so minimally worked-- just a few passes with a chisel.

1 comment:

  1. That water brush by Caran d'Ache is a wonderful tool to work with! Beware the cheap
    Niji water brushes. So happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete