Friday, May 27, 2016

Catch-Up: 100 Drawings, Part 1

As you've probably heard, airport security screening is expected to take longer than usual due to more careful screening by fewer people.  Asheville airport has done its best to erect a labyrinthine maze and to add an extra screening booth and conveyor.  No more people than usual on Tuesday morning at 7:00.
And here are some of them in the waiting room.
And more at the gate in CLT.  I decided to draw only men just to add in a challenge sort of.
We're still on Tuesday here!  More men, and then a curious little poppet that was in a pile of Abby's stuff.  It was definitely homemade with a child-drawn face.  Hmmm.  On the right some treats from a little cafe bake shop in Maplewood.
I had two free days with my friend A, who came down from Vermont to hang out in Manhattan with me before E left on Friday and my working time started.  Our first trip was to the Morgan Library where we saw, among other things, an intriguing little show of power figures attached to spikes and nails and used to join buildings in the ancient middle east to the earth.
More of the Ancient Foundations show on the left, and on the right a start of a view on the Highline and some sculptural pieces from a garden there.
On our second day A and I went to the Rubin Museum to see an eerie show by Genesis Breyer P-Orridge of constructed fetish objects.
I had read a review of this show in the NYTimes and was lured in by a photo of the piece on the right.
Part of the show was the option to contribute a fetishistic offering.  I made the little doll at top left with Nate and Abby's help and directions.  In return I received a card with a red Psychic cross on it as a return offering.  The show was titled "Try to Alter Everything."

A left Friday morning, and so did E.  The rest of these drawings are from things around the house and from neighborhood outings with the kids.  On the top right is the rubble left from the tearing down of the old Maplewood post office.  Nate and I used to enjoy counting and drawing the 22 mail trucks that parked there every afternoon and hunting for rubber bands in the parking lot.  We reminisced about these outings while I drew and he told me details to include.
 A page of portraits including two of the sunflower seedlings we had potted.  This is getting too long for one day!  Will finish tomorrow.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Tea Shop

Tomorrow I leave for ten days in Maplewood helping out with E and K's children while E is in China.  My friend A is coming down from VT for the first few days before E leaves so that we can go into the city and have some fun!  I'll be drawing a lot but maybe not posting everyday.

Today was a sparse drawing day-- a flight of birds landing on a berry- laden leather-leaf mohania bush in our yard this morning, and tea cakes at Dobra Tea this afternoon at book club.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Ewes and Lambs

The sheep were grazing close in this afternoon.  Interesting to really look at their bodies like sacks of pumpkins, their splayed out forelegs as they lower their  mouths to the grass.

Saturday, May 14, 2016


What could be better than hanging on a fence sketching sheep, donkey, and a few steers grazing in knee-high grass under a luminous sky and talking on the phone to faraway Jacob?  And then, suddenly, six farm crew students stopped traffic and opened the gates, and the herd of steers slowly moved into the road with the students urging them on from behind as they flowed like a river to the pasture farther down the road.  

Friday, May 13, 2016

Owen Pond

Not as exciting as a bobcat and bears, but Owen Pond at the end of the east River Trail late this morning yielded turtles on logs sunning, red winged blackbirds, duckies, and a Canada goose family with two chicks serene as swans making their way across the pond.
Then along the trail on the hike home I found ten river canes, which I carried on my shoulder and brought home to weave a snow pea trellis.  Honeysuckle and roses in bloom all along the trail, heaven.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016


This evening's wildlife report:  three yearling bear cubs on their own in our front yard.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Walking Like an Egyptian

I know you're a little bored with my fascination with the Egyptian walking onions, but these things have stretched their way out of their tissue-thin wraps and are now waving like toes in the air as they gain sufficient weight to bend their stalks down to the soil! 
But the real surprise of the day was that while P and I were eating out on the back porch we spied a large bobcat strolling through the back yard. For years we've heard that one of these lives up on Jones Mountain, but no one had seen it except one woman who had maybe spotted it once around 20 years ago.  

It was muscular and tawny, and only about 20 feet away from us.  We raced to find Jesse, who was at the front door and shot inside.  He has been glued to the screen on the porch for the last hour.