Here's last night's ruined hat drawing, pulled back from the brink by the application of small spots of watercolor mixed with gouache. The dots at bottom right show the main colors of the dots that I used. The gouache is opaque, so it stands on the surface of the paper and visually seems to come forward a bit, making the knit look soft and textured.
And here is the detail of a knitted section after receiving the same treatment. I didn't add any ink but did use small bits of very dark Payne's grey watercolor.
For reference, here's the hat at stage two after being brushed with clear water.
And here's the small sample of knit at that same scary stage.
And back to the original line drawing of the hat--