Monday, November 25, 2013

Reading the Rhododendron Leaves






























I didn't need the weather channel or a thermometer to tell me the temperature this morning:  at 7:00 I looked outside at the rhododendron plants and saw tightly furled leaves.  The drawing on the left shows what they looked like at 22 degrees F.  To show how this plant changes throughout the day in relation to the temperature, I drew the same twig and leaves at noon, when the temperature had gone up to 33 degrees.  I love things like this!





























I spent most of the day printing large woodcuts that will end up in a short edition of books.  These drawings show some of the tools and supplies I have out on my drawing table right now-- thread and needle and old mint tin needle case as well as two tubes of watercolor, lilac and Payne's gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment