Sunday, November 24, 2013

Birds, Cat, Fish






























This morning the rhododendron leaves outside our bedroom window were curled into drinking straw-sized tubes, a clear indication of below-freezing temperatures.  And then, around 9:00, we experienced our annual descent of birds.  This year it was a cloud of robins that arrived to strip the berry crop from the holly tree and the dogwood tree that sit in the hedgerow behind the house.  Drawing 974 shows an impression of this twittering and happy-sounding feast.  I added drawing 980 (which is an eraser carving that I made yesterday for the big print I'm working on)  to show the arrival of the birds.  An hour after they descended, there was not a red berry on either tree, and the  dissimulation of birds took off as one organism.

Ignoring the birds altogether was Jesse having breakfast out of his china food dish.





























Tonight Jesse curled up on a couch near the aquarium and went to sleep while I drew a few of the fish.

3 comments:

  1. Gwen, I just had to comment on the spread at the top. It is such a lovely scene. Your cat must be a lot more placid natured than ours - she would be driven into a frenzy by the sight of a flock of robins, as would my husband, I think! ( He's from Northern Ireland, now living in Australia and if there is one thing he misses, it is his lovely robin red-breasts. ) Thank-you for sharing this delightful event from your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually my cat is a fierce hunter, but he had been out all night and just seemed to want a snack and a nap. lucky for the robins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually my cat is a fierce hunter, but he had been out all night and just seemed to want a snack and a nap. lucky for the robins!

    ReplyDelete