Friday, November 22, 2013

Expressing Chagrin and Woe






























I spent a couple of hours on the phone this morning with a computer repair guy who was fixing my printer via remote assistance.  In order to fix the printer, which was working okay as long as I was printing from the computer but which was unable to make a simple copy, the technician had to locate and then re-install the printer drivers.  When he went to do that he noticed how extremely dirty and clogged my computer was, so he first had to clean it.  Then I pointed out that the printer has never been set up as a wireless printer, so he fixed that.  Meanwhile I held on to the phone and typed in various passwords as he told me to.  I decided to draw the way I felt by drawing faces from around the house that seemed to be feeling the way I was feeling-- that doomed and helpless feeling I get when someone is peering into the mysteries of my computer and telling me sadly what's wrong with it, and it is taking a l-o-n-g time.

The object on the top left is a stuffed cloth figure that looks like a gravestone angel, only it's made out of rusty wire, old brown cotton, some kind of black wool, a few tarnished jingle bells, and strips of dirty old lace.  I found it at Eastern Market in D.C. and bought it on the spot.  The artist is unknown.  I love its dazed and resigned look.  Beneath it is a skeptical lizard made of green metal, bought from a street vender in Herculaneum in Italy.  On the top right is a grumbly guy with a monocle made by my son David, who signed it D 2 (D squared), so he must have been around 12 when he made it, going through his D2 phase.  The two ceramic figures are reproductions of Aztec and Olmec figures from various museum stores.  One looks skeptical to me and the other is clearly not happy.  The little figure cut off midway, down at the bottom right, is one that I've had for a long time but don't know where it came from.  It's made of bisque fired white clay, looks outraged:  So how much is this costing??

No comments:

Post a Comment