Saturday, June 22, 2013
Documenting a Greasy Gunky Day
My husband and I went this morning and got Maya's sewing machine, and I spent most of today taking it apart, cleaning, and exploring it. Happily, it came with a manual, and although old and somewhat crumbly, the manual is missing only one page. In the process of doing a preliminary cleaning, I noticed the bobbin winder had a worn-out-looking rubber ring that is supposed to make contact with the wheel when the bobbin is being wound. The rubber ring was wobbly and dry and generally rough looking. So I drew the part (bottom left of right hand page) and then took it apart so I could get the rubber thing off. Drawing it helps me to understand how it works and especially how to put it back together after I take it apart. I searched on eBay and found replacements for the entire part and then found for $3.00 a replacement for the rubber tire only, which is all I needed. I also drew the face plate because it had the serial number stamped on it and I wanted to search on-line to see if I could find a date that corresponded to it.