Sunday, July 26, 2015

Wreath Making with Non-Poisonous Flowers


My old French grandmother could always be counted on to whip out a flower wreath for me on the numerous occasions when wreathes were required in the 1950s Catholic church.  Above is a shot of my first communion class, with the girls on the left, each wearing a white wreath.  (If you have exceptionally good microscopic vision you can see my wreath all the way on the right in the first row of girls who are kneeling at the communion rail.  I was the shortest girls in the class and therefore the first in line.  This is all making good sense, right?)  Memere would send some child across the street to cut white oleander flowers from the big bush that grew outside the racetrack fence.  Oleanders made beautiful wreaths, and it was only years later that I found out the blossoms are poisonous.  No one ever got sick from wearing the wreaths as far as I know, and Memere obviously didn't chew on the flowers while she twisted the stems around floral wire.
I have never made a wreath other than the occasional informal clover ring;  but Maya needs a flower girl wreath for her Dad's upcoming wedding, and she asked me to make it for her.  Following Maya's example, I spent a lot of time looking at YouTubes about flower girl wreath making, and I think I have gleaned the best ideas for this wreath.  Above you can see the ingredients spread out for my practice wreath:  two floral-tape wrapped pieces of floral wire;  a long piece of satin ribbon;  a stem of lizard's tail; a couple of stems of oregano blooms;  and the roll of floral tape (which I learned must be stretched out and tugged at in order to activate the adhesive).

I made notes from the YouTubes and wrote/sketched the process I want to follow.  Right now I have a pretty good practice wreath sitting in the fridge under damp paper towels so I can judge whether or not I can make the wreath on Friday or if it needs to be done at the very last minute.  My other wedding-related job is to be the animal handler for Maya's two guinea pig boys who will watch the ceremony from inside a basket of grass clippings.

2 comments:

  1. will the guinea pigs also wear wreaths? lordy, your family is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bow ties only! But Kate the little dog will wear a wedding dress.

      Delete